Overnight Dockside Marine Science Field Trip
We have developed the dockside program to create an affordable way for students to learn and get more involved in environmental stewardship overnight on-board our ship, the Enhydra!
The ship cruises around Long Beach & Los Angeles Harbor during the program.
Marine Biology Wildlife Study
- Learn about marine mammals and do a site survey as we search for Seals & Sea Lions.
- Basic info on Marine Birds & perform a site survey for several species of birds along the coast.
- Environmental Science Group Games
- Bottom Trawl Adventure (bring animals off the ocean floor & learn to identify flat fish as well as invertebrates) along with instruction on Invertebrates and Vertebrates.
- Touch Tanks
- See the Giant Sea Bass in it’s natural environment!
- Oceanography – including water sampling
- Deckmanship – Students will learn basic knots and other maritime activities while living for 24 hours onboard a working research vessel!
Stay onboard a fully equipped Coast Guard certified marine research vessel, The Enhydra, and enjoy a whole venue all for your group. Bring your group closer together while experiencing marine science!
We are known for our strong science program. Your group participants learn to implement the scientific method as they conduct actual marine biology field science activities. Trawl for invertebrates, perform site surveys on local marine birds, seals and sea lions.
The best way to impart a love and respect for the marine environment is to expose youth to these beautiful resources and increase their awareness to the current threats, challenges and possible solutions for environmental stewardship.
There are 20 staterooms on board the Enhydra, each with two bunks, a dresser and under-bed storage, as well as a private bathroom with sink, shower and toilet. Enjoy gourmet meals prepared by our chef and all the snacks and refreshments you could ask for!